The Goodyear Service Pin used in our logo is courtesy Jerry Bell. The pin belonged to his dad, Adolphus. R. Bell.

Mill Destruction

Our mill was constructed between 1903 and 1904 and was designed by W. M. McCafferty. It withstood the Great Depression, the Textile Strike of 1934, two World Wars, and several wars since then, but fell to the effects of the Economic Depression and the dissolution of the textile industry in the U.S.

The mill and surrounding Village was added to the National Register of Historic Places in October, 2005. In later years, the mill and surrounding 50+ acres was purchased by the City of Cartersville, Georgia and then sold to a private developer.

The mill children hoped the developer would be able to salvage the mill and recreate lofts or living spaces that would maintain partial integrity and history of the mill. Economic times prevented this from happening, and the newer part of the mill was demolished and fell victim of the times.

The photos below were taken in the Fall of 2009 and early 2010 during the demolition process.























(Photos by Yvonne Mashburn Schmidt and Bill Tollison)

Pageviews

Creative Commons License
ATCO, Georgia, The Village by Yvonne Mashburn Schmidt and ATCO Kids, Individually, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at atcogeorgia.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://atcogeorgia.com.